The Sea Lab, dedicated to the study and monitoring of the marine environment, will facilitate the coordination of the various regional monitoring systems already in existence in the Alto Tirreno - Mar Ligure region. This will meet national and international demand for the protection of the marine environment and its potential for innovation and growth (Marine Strategy and Blue Growth).
Creating a regional centre to calibrate, compare and test tools and platforms (primarily as a "virtual network" of existing ones).
Members will be able to calibrate instrumentation and share tools.
- Management, processing and use of environmental data and of information from digital models. Environmental data will be subject to a quality validation system according to international protocols and standards (IOC-UNESCO and WMO).
- Studies of human impact on coastal and port areas to incentivise the implementation of European directives and/or national/regional laws (e.g. ecosystem approach and environmental status evaluation).
- Realization of a regional network of experimental marine stations.
- Sustainable technological development in the marine and maritime transport sector.
In order to support the activities of the ship and sea laboratories, an agreement was signed between DLTM and INGV - the coordinator of the EMSO infrastructure - for the realization of an underwater observatory station (SEA) with the following aims:
- Depth measurements
- Water column measures
- Measurement and monitoring of noise emissions and contaminants
The sea station will place DLTM and its members in an international context, and will also link to the pan-European networks SeaDataNet and EMODnet to share and manage marine and oceanic data.